On the 30th September two plaques will be unveiled to commemorate the centenary of the loss of the Dublin Port ships, the SS Hare and SS Adela.
In December of 1917 two separate U-boat attacks on Dublin port vessels killing 36 people had a huge impact on the tight knit Dublin Docklands community, where many of the victims lived.
The unveiling of the plaques will take place at 1pm on the 30th September at Sean O’ Casey Bridge on the quays followed by a wreath laying ceremony. The event will be attended by descendants of the crew members who lost their lives in the tragedies as will as local history and community groups, the lord Mayor of Dublin and representatives from Dublin Port.
After the ceremony there will be a reception with a photo and memorabilia exhibitions and the launch of a new pamphlet describing the story of the tragedy. Both the unveiling and reception are open to the general public and all are welcome.
The SS Hare was a steamship operating out of Dublin Port. In 1913 she was famously involved with delivering food to the starving strikers of the 1913 Lockout.
On December 14th 1917 the ship was on what would be her final voyage from Manchester to Dublin when she was struck by a torpedo by the german submarine U-62 around seven miles east of Kish lightship. 12 souls were lost in the attack.
Only weeks later on 27th December the SS Adela was travelling to Liverpool carrying a cargo of Livestock and coal. She was torpedoed by the German submarine U-100 around 12 miles northwest of the Skerries off Anglesea, taking with her 24 lives.
For more information on the commemoration visit the Facebook page.