We were treated to a special light show this week thanks to the Aurora Borealis as atmospheric conditions over Ireland saw the phenomenon occur further South than usual.
The Aurora, also known as the Northern Lights, is caused by the interaction of charged particles from the sun with atoms in the upper atmosphere (Yes, I googled that!). More typical of Scandinavia, the impressive display could be easily seen along the North coast with Donegal and Derry getting the best of it.
Here’s some of the best photos of the amazing Aurora.
1. Lough Gill, Dromahair, Co. Leitrim by Kelvin Gillmor
2. Binevenagh Mountain Co. Derry by Stephen Emerson
3. Carrickfinn, Co. Donegal by Rory O’Donnell
4. Horn Head, Co. Donegal by James Greer
5. Portrush, Co. Antrim by GM Photograph
6. Doe Castle, Co. Donegal by Rita Wilson Photography
7. Inishowen Co Donegal by Seamus McLaughlin
8. Mulroy Bay, Kerrykeel, Co. Donegal by Gareth Crossan
9. Inishowen Co Donegal Some video footage.
Got a photo from the other night? Send it in and we’ll share it!